It’s Pet Awareness Month and dog-loving author Jonathan Wittenberg has made us paws for thought at Thinking of You.
According to Jonathan, dog owners are kinder, more mindful and wiser human beings. Why? Because dogs teach us about having a heart. A dog’s unconditional love, loyalty and companionship brings out the thoughtfulness, and other appealing qualities, in their two-legged friends.
Here’s what a dog can teach us all:
- Thoughtfulness. Dogs put their trust in you 365 days a year. Whether it’s meal times, walkies, snuggle-time or sleep-time, owners have to be uber thoughtful to ensure their dog’s tail wags all year round.
- Awareness. It may not feel like fun when your dog chooses midnight to give you the ‘I need to go for a walk look’, but, once you’re outside and the moon is shining, you see so much beauty in the night’s sky it is well worth the effort of becoming a night owl.
- Companionship. Dogs aren’t a fair-weather friend, they’re in it for the long haul. They’re always up for an excursion, they don’t abandon you if you’re having a bad day and will quite happily sit and warm your feet in the cold winter months – bliss!
- Forgiveness. Dogs love and live in the now so the occasionally late breakfast, forgotten pat or grumpy word won’t make them go off in a huff.
- Joy. With a ‘go-for-it’ attitude to life, dogs just get on with it! They don’t weigh up the pros and cons before each walk; they’re out of the door and eager to get active, they never turn their nose up at food and greet everyone like a long lost friend.
- Dogs seize the moment. Why not be more dog? Seize the moment. Use Thinking of You to send the equivalent of a-wag-and-a-walk to someone who may need a lift. If you’d like to support a dog related charity too, you can add an optional donation to Rain Rescue, who offer homeless animals a safe home, or, the Israel Guide Dog Centre, who help blind and visually impaired Israelis have a better quality of life.
If you’re a charity that would like to benefit from thoughtful people click here for more information.
This blog refers to the book by Jonathan Wittenberg, Things My Dog Has Taught Me About Being A Better Human. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 2018.